Rendezvous Goldsmith

Ruthin Craft Centre

Audrey Walker
I've just had a wonderful time with like minded Artist listening to Audrey Walker talking  about her time at Goldsmith College.  Audrey walked us through the exhibition, telling us about her former students and where and how they get their ideas and inspirations.  Artist such as Alice Kettle, Vicki Brown, Eiran Short, Jeanette Appleton and many more.  Micheal Brennand-Wood was of particular interest as I could see how I could apply some of his techniques into to my current work using the laser cutter.  I was also inspired by the small textile piece by Diana Mott-Thorton, she used water dissolvable fabric, which I've used in my foundation project and would like to explore its uses again.
After Lunch, Karina Thompson, discussed her processess and we had a glimps into her sketch books and her obsessive notes and research into her work with hospitals.  I could relate to her recent piece exhibited at Saltaire 'Cloth and Memory' contected to her heart scan and running.  Christine Mills also talked about her time at Goldsmith under the guidance of Audrey, and the freedom to express in the in the widest possible way.  Both Artist discussed site specific commissions, and how sensitive and honest they were with regards to the content of the work and the skills involved in dealing with clients and future purchasers of the work.
Melanie Miller discussed how textiles are used as a form of communication, which included collectives and community groups.  Her talk could not have come at a better time for me as my research into the quilting world, women and quilts and friendship quilts are topics that I am currently looking at.

On reflection on the 3 hour drive home, what I have taken from these admirable textile Artist is their commitment and intensive research that goes into their work.  One piece of advice that Audrey gave to all the budding quitlers, students, crafters was to 'find your voice'  For along time I have been looking for a style or asking the question of myself  'what sort of artist am I? '  Finding my voice as an artist is my reason for being at MMU, and hopefully in the next few years that voice will be found.

Micheal Brennand-Wood