Evaluation Essay

 Unit X Cressbrook Mill

What I have tried to achieve with every unit at level 4, is to find a greater understanding of who I am as a textile Artist.  This unit has taken me closer to that creative voice, as I continue to explore why textiles stimulates my creative practice.  Working in collaboration with Lisa, has been a truly educational experience as I would normally prefer to work alone.  This experience has helped me immensely, as her enthusiasm and encouragement for my work has kept me going when at times I have found being in TIP quiet isolating and although on the surface I may appear to be self-directed what I require on some occasions is positive feedback.

The choice of site location ‘Cressbrook Mill’ was quickly established between the two of us, as we both have personal memories of the area.  I find that making a connection with the subject that you are working with keeps your motivation and response to it fresh.  From my primary research which was based at the local history information Centre in Chesterfield Library, unveiled many articles about the history of the mill.  Before the Mill was built, John Baxter had been granted the land as part of the enclosures Act of 1764, and he built a three story house into the corner wall of ‘Water Cum Jolly’ now used by many climbers in the area.  The sheltered South facing aspect of the land around his house was suitable for cultivating, along with aromatic herbs Baker also planted the hillside above his house with Filbert Trees. (Walnut Trees)  Other connections that I found in my history research was the large number of children  were brought up from London to work as apprentices in the mill, I could almost let my imagination run riot and believe that I could find my ancestors transported from the slums of London to Derbyshire to improve their chances of an education. 
In my other life as an employer, I was also interested to read that the first employment laws were established because of the appalling conditions that the apprentices had to endure whilst working in the mill. 

During our initial meetings Lisa and I went to visit a Textile show in Manchester, thinking we would not get much from it as it was geared more to crafters, we were both pleasantly surprised to meet Rachel Powel, a textile artist who was exhibiting her work from her recent residency at Ormesby Hall in Middlesbrough.  What caught my attention with her work was the beautiful muted colors she was using in her work.  Whilst working at the hall for over a year, Rachel had dyed wool and fabric with whatever plants she could find in her immediate surroundings resulting in some very subtle colour changes from winter through to summer. 
With this new found insight into colour and from the history research that I had carried out I felt quite a number of connection for me to develop this unit.
My initial drawings at Cressbrook were based around the windows of the Mill, now refurbished into luxury apartments.  The mill was built down in the valley, with steep embankments at either side, and I could envisage that it would be almost impossible for children to escape from their life in the mill.  With no hope but to work for 18 hour days, all I could see when looking up to the windows were small children crying at the windows and how fragile their existence must have been.
Unfortunately, starting this project in January meant there was very little plant life in the surrounding area.

From my research into Natural dying I came across Jenny Dean who has worked with dye plants and natural dyes for over 20 years.  As I have never attempted any form of fabric dying before, I decided to follow her experiment of trying to create 25 colors from one dye bath.  In my ignorance I started to make my own mordants from copper and rusty nails.  This process alone took 2 weeks. The Kate Egan workshop that I attended at the Whitworth a few years ago, brought back the memory of the slow movement.  This process is certainly slow, when the mordants were ready and I had scheduled in the time to start dying my wool, I then read that the wool should soak overnight to allow the fibers to open to take up the dye.  If I continue to down this route of natural dying for my final exhibition at level 6, then I need to start planning now as the madder plant takes two years for the roots to establish before they can be used.
This exercise took over one week to complete, and I gained an enormous amount of experience in preparing the mordants and modifiers each having an effect on the colour of the wool.  Once this was complete I started to use other natural dyes and plants from around the home, using onion skins, ivy, and plants that were appearing in early spring.  During my research I looked into the techniques and the effects that can be created by wrapping fabric around metal objects such as rusty nails, which act as a mordant then stored in jars of dye bath anything up to a year to create interesting marks on the fabrics.  Amongst these techniques is Shibori, the Japanese term for Shibori which means to wring, squeeze or press.  Fabric may be plucked and bound, stitched and gathered and folded and clamped or wrapped around poles and pleated to form various patterns.  I attempted several techniques in the time available, but soon realized that what I was trying to achieve has taken some Artist years to learn these skills.  I soon realized that what I enjoyed about natural dying that I was creating my own fabric that I could use in various projects in the future.  The process was exciting as I was never sure what the outcome would be, similar to mono printing when you peel back the paper to reveal the marks.

Along with working collaboratively with Lisa, I also worked with a small group of children from an After School Club.  I organised an outing to Cressbrook, where we discussed the working life for children who used to work in the Mill.  We also buried three fabric wraps, each containing different plants and metal object, these were left in the ground for 3 weeks to let the natural mordants in the soil have an effect on the fabric. Back at the club the children responded to their visit by drawing the mill and making a large color collage after I explained to them that I was working on a colour project for my homework.  Although I felt that my work with the children was turning into a history lessons, it did create some interesting conversation about Arkwright who built the mill and what was really exciting for them was finding out about the name Arkwright which is one of their houses at school.  We also had a dying session using turmeric as this is a cold water technique which was a safer options to use in school.  The children really enjoyed the wool and the fabric changing colour and were very eager to see what other colours could be achieved.  We are hoping to use the fabric that they dyed to teach them how to weave and the large colour collage will be turned into fabric and made into sketch book covers during the summer holidays.

The other area for natural plant dying that is of interest to me is that it is a gentle and ecological sustainable alternative to synthetic dyes, which are often harmful in themselves and the processes used for their manufacture. I found useful information in India Flint’s book ‘Eco Colour’ which explores ecolocical sustainable plant dye methods using renewable resources.  What appeals to me with this technique is that it brings you closer to nature and the process that gives beautiful and sometimes surprising result.  I find the process of dying my own fabric and fibers exciting and now realize that there is so much more to this skill than first anticipated.

I have never felt confident using colour in my work before, but now feel that mother nature is there supporting me and that I just need to explore the process and let the plants reveal their true colours. 
I have diliberately just looked at one Artist for my reseach.  Paul Klee has influenced many textile artist because of his use of colour.  The book ‘Dialogue with nature’ helped me understand the extent of his enthusiam for botany, at an early age Klee started collecting and pressing plants.  In Richard Verdi essay ‘Botanical Imagery in the Art of Klee’ describes Klee’s early work that leads him to consider the fundamental paralles between natural and artistic creation.  Working with nature feels right to me, it feels intuitive its as if the fabric has new life added to it and if it fades that is nature just doing its job.