Kaffe Fassett Colour Lecture






I’ve just attended one of the best Art Lectures ever by Kaffe Fassett, leaving me inspired and motivated to continue my journey into colour.  A serendipitous moment occurred when on Sunday evening browsing the internet and you tube channels looking for textile artist, when I came across him being interviewed in his London studio.  Looking further on his web site I found out that he was giving a ‘Colour Lecture’ at Hudderfield University.  I booked the tickets and in less than 24 hours I was sitting in one of the front rows listening to this inspirational confident artist speak.  No depressing contextual theory, just pure love of colour and pattern, an energy that is sadly lacking from other Artist lectures  He revealed that he had spent the day talking to the young textile students, and how I envied them.  Giving them advice on using grey base layers and encouraging them to go bigger and bolder.  He discussed his collaboration with Rowan and Designer Guild, and I took on many of his points about being true to yourself and following your intuition and not following the crowd.  His presentation of his work and the photography was thought provoking, and every picture told a new story.  The Q&A’s  at the end were interesting ranging from ‘Did acid have an effect on his early designs’ answer was ‘may have done, but life had a greater affect’. 
A second question ‘was he’s work Art?’ apparently he gets asked this question quite often.  When he was younger living in America and partying with the New York Art set, he was told that if he was going to succeed, not to go down the craft route it would finish he’s Art Career.  He apparently took the critics advice and concentrated on his painting, and tried to bury the maker in him.  As he matured and started to follow his heart he said that ‘nothing could stop the creator inside him’ and thought what the hell ‘just do what you want to do’ and has continued to do so ever since.  In his interview, he discussed he’s business approach to his craft, in that he only makes things for his own enjoyment and never for money.  He believes that if people like it they will they will come and buy it.  Luckily for him they have, but I do not believe it just happened, he’s self-confidence and his personality would drive any business idea and convince any supplier be it Vogue or the BBC that he’s work would sell and draw in customers.   I left this lecture inspired and full of energy, and it was a great reminder of how lucky I am to be to pursuing my a dream in Art.